Saturday, August 6, 2011

Feeling Like a Family


We just got back from the Adirondacks where my in-laws have a house on the Fulton Lake chain.  The weather was amazing and we went kayakking, swimming, jet skiing, boating, and ate like kings.  We even had a scenic chair lift ride up a mountain and played with hula-hoops.  Oakley had a big week...she took golf lessons and learned to ride a bike without training wheels.  But the best part for me was seeing all three of the kids playing together, being silly, sharing toys, playing in the sand, just like any other family.  Sure, we got a few more stares and even some questions from strangers, but for the most part we were just having fun and building memories.  I wasn't worried about attachment issues or future issues Joni will have to deal with or compensating for all the attention she gets.  I felt for the first time since we adopted Joni, mentally relaxed and at peace.  I'm so grateful for the time and thankful God has allowed Joni's heart to put down some walls and accept the family and new life she's been given.  I can only hope and pray she (and we) continue in this positive direction.    

2 comments: