Saturday, January 15, 2011

She has a name...

and it's Joni Yayan Prinzing.  For those of you who are confused by the title of our blog, "mei mei" means "little sister" in Chinese, we never actually intended on naming her that.  "Joni" (pronounced Johnny) after her uncle John, great-uncle John, and great-grandfather John...all who share her birthday, December 27th.  Additionally, Scott's grandfather and uncle (who passed away at birth) were named John.  So she will be carrying on a significant family name.  The spelling choice is in honor of Joni Eareckson Tada, one of my personal heroes and someone who my daughter can really look up to.  "Yayan" is her Chinese name given to her most likely by the orphanage director.  I want to keep this piece of her history, not to remind her that she was once an orphan but to remind her that the gift of nationality she was blessed with at birth was Chinese.  Perhaps one day (at least this is my desire) she will be able to move from seeing herself as a Caucasian on the inside, Asian on the outside, to a beautiful mix of both.  A unique individual who can glean from both heritages and feel confident/comfortable being with either and all races.  I understand that will be a process, a difficult and painful one that will take twists and turns for us both, but I already look forward to knowing that woman whose spirit will reflect the wondrous diversity and glory that is the human race.  Then of course the name I am most excited to give her is "Prinzing" because it is her FAMILY name.  She will belong, parents will be responsible for her, she will fill a role of daughter and sister, she will have a home, her life until her final breath and beyond will be celebrated, and she will know acceptance and love.

In the Chinese culture choosing a name is a very sacred and complex process.  They believe that the name will influence their destiny.  I do not know how the name "Joni Yayan Prinzing" will effect my daughter, though I'm pretty sure she's going to hate us for giving her a "boy's" name until she gets older and that becomes kinda cool.  I hope she understands that the name was given with love, honor, and thoughtfulness.           

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful and touching Lynne and Scott - the name and the sentiments expressed! May Joni remind us all of our adoption as sons and daughters into the family of God and His heart for us and delight in us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynne I love it! I can't wait to meet her!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynne, I am so touched by all this! Can' wait to meet Joni!

    ReplyDelete