Thursday, June 9, 2011

Makin It

Once again the "fake it till you make it" philosophy prevails.  I am officially feeling like Joni's mommy...not just her caretaker, not just her guardian, not just her admirer, not her recently adoptive mom...but her mommy.  These almost four months have been a real roller coaster of emotions, fears, joys, unknowns, sweet memories and desperate prayers.  I finally feel like my head is not under water and that our family of five is no longer a novelty but a blessed life.  I can't even say when or how it happened...each day I got up determined to do my best and rely on the Lord.  Each day Joni and I learned a little more about each other.  Each day we made some mistakes, asked for forgiveness, and moved forward.  The bad days (and there were a handful of really bad days that I cannot think about without regret) got less and less.  Somewhere along the way, Joni opened her heart and began to trust.  Somewhere along the way I gave my fears up to Lord and came to understand that I wasn't expected to "fix" what was broken in Joni's heart.  I was just supposed to be her mom.  I think it really hit me yesterday that we've arrived.  A speech therapist came out to evaluate Joni (she has only one word "yeh" and is generally very quiet...not sure why we are trying to change this, ha ha, jk) and I realized as she was sitting on my lap and interacting with the therapist I had a smile ear to ear the whole time.  Not just that but I was so proud of every little thing she did and I had to hold myself back from trying to help her.  I wasn't just watching her being evaluated, I was feeling really connected and going through it with her.  I was...I am her mommy.  For life and it's one of my greatest privileges.

2 comments:

  1. Lynne, once again you have me teary eyed. I just re-read your post from WAGI about feeling the same about Joni, etc. We have been home 24 hours with our new son, and it has been ROUGH. I so appreciate your honesty...it blesses me and gives me hope for the future. (p.s. I actually linked in my blog to your post. Hope that's OK.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynne,
    Your life as Joni's mommy gave me chills. I look forward to reading your blog and getting in touch with all you have been through. Thank you for sharing your "real" life and being open, honest and genuine with struggles and joys. It's nice to reconnect with you.

    Love,
    Susan Rice

    ReplyDelete