Sunday, March 6, 2011

Great Days

I must say the last four days have been nothing short of wonderful.  Joni continues to blossom and bond with all of us, my schedule is cleared in order to focus on the kids, people are making us meals...I mean life is sweet.  In some ways it feels like Joni has been here forever.  I know there are still more challenges ahead and I'm a little intimidated about resuming "normal" life with three kids between 1 and 6, but for now I am basking in the glory of being mom to three wonderful blessings and wife to one good man.  We went to church today for the first time and Joni did well.  She definitely got a lot of attention before and afterwards, but I kept her close to me and she didn't seem too stressed.  During the service she was even smiling, talking, and interacting with the folks around us.  Our Grace Fellowship family has been so supportive and everyone was so excited about her arrival. 

On a more sober note Oakley came home from school the other day and sadly told me that two boys in her class told her that Joni wasn't her really her sister.  Wow, although I expected her to have to deal with this it still felt like a punch in the gut.  I know those two boys aren't evil incarnate, but I don't want Oakley to question the sister bond that is clearly growing nor feel embarrassed about our "different" family.  I just told her that legally Joni is her sister just as if she was born to us.  That I know in my heart she's my daughter and you know in your heart she's your sister and that it doesn't really matter what those two boys think.  I also explained that families are built in different ways, both through birth and decisions...just like when mommy and daddy (who aren't related by birth) decided to get married and become a family.  She seemed to accept that answer and moved on to something else but it is sad to think about the day when Joni herself is told that she really isn't "our daughter."  This where my faith will have to come in.  Faith that her heavenly father will comfort her, reveal her truth, provide her security, and open her heart to fully receive our love and place in our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment